Thursday, February 26, 2009

Greek Life at SMU

After having gone through Rush in January at SMU, there is a lot on my mind concerning the Greek System at SMU. I am definitely happy I did it, however I do have quite a few complaints with how it works, and the outcome of it all. I chose a sorority based on my morals and how I felt when in the house, and because I really looked up and respected all the girls in that house. Although most of my friends went to a different house, I felt that the one I chose was the most me. Little did I know, people did not expect me to stay close with my friends who chose a different sorority. I was shocked by this assumption. Never have I ever let a social group define me as a person, or the people I associate myself with. SMU has a very single minded view of how sororities work; girls are to be friends with their sorority sisters, and are to always be representing their sorority at all times. Not that I don’t love my sorority, but I really do not find it necessary to parade around in merchandise of my sorority letters everyday, or wear pins to show off which one I am. Maybe, if the school didn’t stereotype girls by what sorority they are in, I would, but that is not the case here.  

Its like immediately someone sees my sorority letters on my shirt, they size me up as preppy, snobby, rich, and thinks I am better than everyone else. This reputation is so far off, and so unbelievably untrue that I never even want to tell people the sorority I am in. I choose to not talk about it a lot, because I would never want to limit my friend group to just members of my sorority.  I know I am not the only one that feels this way, but I wish it would be more accepted around campus to be friends with whoever, and not immediately ask what sorority I am in. I find it humorous when if I do not know who someone is, a person will reply “Oh she is a sophomore Theta”, as if because she is a theta that will give me more direction of how to think of her. The Greek System is spinning out of control if you ask me. Sororities are supposed to be a group of young women with the same morals and goals in life, working together to support a cause and help women grow and get to know one another. It should not be a gossipy, exclusive group of people, that are single minded and believe their sorority is better than other ones.

I think SMU thrives solely on the Greek System because our football teams and other sports are not supported so much here. Its like Greek life is all we have to cheer about and support. If we had this much pride for our sports teams and other important groups, we would all be less competitive with one another, and most united. I hope to see SMU more unified in the future, supporting our teams and leadership groups, and even our Greek life as a whole.

4 comments:

  1. I completely agree with you that the SMU Greek System is spinning out of control. During rush week there was so much talk about the "good sororities" that it almost drove me insane. If I were to say something to my friends about a sorority that they didn't think of as one of the "good sororities" they would just look at me and act like they didn't care. I also pledged a sorority different from all of my friends and I have noticed some real changes. The stereotypes placed on girls because of which sorority they are in are ridiculous. And I also know how you feel when you don’t want to tell someone which sorority you belong to because you don’t want to be thought of as the stereotype.
    Greek Life has also changed the social life at SMU. Every time you meet a new person their first question isn’t “what is your name?” it’s “what sorority are you in?” People judge you from the second they meet you simply based off of what they have heard about your house. I think it is especially worse with boys though. Boys stereotype girls based on their sorority so much. I have heard guys talking about it before and literally wanted to slap them. I personally have noticed a change in all of my buy friends from first semester; and most of them are changes for the worst. Sometimes I even feel like they treat me differently because of the house I chose. I think that people need to stop focusing on the stereotypes and really get to know someone before judging them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This post shows a lot of thought and some guts too. I think everybody needs to think about what both of you are saying here. At college, you should be broadening your friendship base, not narrowing it. And you should not be knowing each other by labels. You can have sororities without these stereotypes and prejudices, so where does this come from at SMU?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think this is a really interesting and relevant topic to blog about. I have also noticed changes in people from first to second semester. One of the most dramatic changes is when meeting new people. First semester I felt like the common questions when you met someone where "What dorm do you live in?" or "Where are you from?" Now, before those questions even cross people's minds they want to know what sorority you are in. How can greek letters define you as a person? Every one in each of the houses are so different that it's impossible to sum everyone up in one stereotype. Another change is in the friendships from first semester. Losing/changing friends since rush has made me kind of sad. It's just so weird how close you can be first semester then after Christmas & pledging a sorority, you suddenly don't ever see them anymore.

    I never really thought about why greek life at SMU is so different from other schools. Maybe it's partly due to the delayed rush that SMU does. After getting to know people and form opinions about them throughout first semester, you might form an opinion about a sorority based on the girls that you know are in the pledge class from this year. I don't really know the answer but I know that my friends from home that pledged in the fall at their colleges don't seem to have the same strong stereotypes and prejudices that we do.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree in thinking this bog brings up a very interesting and important issue. It is an obvious fact that the greek life at SMU is out of control to say the least. Like you said, I see changes in both boys and girls; both are obsessed with their houses. I have a friend who is in my sorority and she has allowed our sorority to literally become the most important factor in her life. It’s a little creepy and somewhat obnoxious to only talk about our house when I’m with her. I’ve also noticed that she feels some superiority over others because she’s greek and all other houses (including the girls in them) are simply beneath her. In the male department, I have sensed a lot of self-confidence from my guy friends. The confidence I’m talking about isn’t good. They feel that because they’re “frat guys” they can have any girl they want and have multiple hook ups. Their respect for girls has gone way down I feel.
    After rush, I praised SMU for advocating such fun clubs for students to meet other students. The greek life dominates the social scene and every night makes me love college even more. However, I am now sensing the extremes of people’s “greek obsessions” and it’s beginning to get a little obnoxious.

    ReplyDelete