Sunday, April 26, 2009

Drugs?

While I am very opposed to drugs, and have never actually seen them, I hear a lot of talk about drugs on the SMU campus. To me, this is very disappointing and says a lot about our school. SMU are has a negative stereotype when it comes to money. Some even call it "Southern Millionaires University". It makes us look even worse when drugs are so prevalent on our campus. In no way am I associated with these drugs, however I just hear about people using them and having access to them all the time. It makes SMU look so bad that kids with so much money don't know what else to do with all their time. They are so bored that use their father's money to go buy a horrible, addictive drug to appease them for the time being. It could just be rumors, and I certainly hope so, but I just hear about it so much that I presume it is actually serious. 
Before college, I was never exposed or even heard about drugs ever, so it is simply shocking that people talk about it so much here and act like it is no big deal. Was I extremely sheltered in high school? I am not sure. I am sure though, that it is not normal to talk about drugs as if they are not illegal and as if it is okay to do them. I firmly agree that all SMU students have been raised well enough to know better than to turn to drugs in time of boredom, stress, or whatever the reason may be. It is unfortunate that so many college students with such great potential and access to an amazing education turn to drugs as a way out. I certainly hope that some day, drugs will not be a topic of conversation around me, or anyone at this school. Even if it is all rumors, I would hope that drugs are not something funny enough to joke about.

2 comments:

  1. Before I came to SMU I had also heard the stereotype of "Southern Millionaires University" and the rumors about drugs on campus. However, when I visited the school my senior year of high school I loved SMU so much that I obviously decided to come here despite the several drug rumors that I had heard. And boy am I glad I did not let those false rumors stop me from coming to such a wonderful university! Now that I am a student here it disgusts me that there are drug rumors about our dedicated students. After a year here I can honestly say that I have not seen any drugs nor have I been around anyone who is a drug addict. Every person at SMU had to work very hard in order to be accepted into this school. If they were abusing drugs then there is no way they would academically be able to survive here. I think that people who do not go to SMU like to make up these horrible rumors because maybe they were the students who did drugs in high school, applied to SMU...and maybe they did not get in!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Meghan that SMU has an attitude of relaxation towards the drug scandal at hand. Money, time, and boredom are all factors in the abuse we see today with drugs. Such a serious problem here at SMU is constantly being addressed but I am unaware of why it is still such a prevalent issue. I too growing up was very naive to the idea of drugs being such an issue at college. Yet coming here, I too found them to be a topic of discussion almost everywhere I went. I have done well to avoid them because I have always been very harsh towards drug users, but I see myself being around it more and more. I think it is a serious problem that should not be taken lightly. However, I do think that small minority of the students here at SMU are using drugs. The issue is not the largest at hand but it could due to be addressed more often.

    ReplyDelete